Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Oh, Federer You Didn't Do It Again!

The Australian Open is done now and so are my hopes of seeing Federer win another Grand Slam. This, of course, is the main story from Down Under for me. The odds seemed to be on his side after a great end of the 2010 season. He had won 4 of his last 5 tournaments coming to Melbourne (his only loss came surprisingly to Monfils in a 3rd set tie-break in Paris) and was riding on a 16 matches winning streak (during which he defeated Nadal to claim the Masters title). He glowed with confidence and talked about having improved his games and about aiming at being more aggressive. My hopes were high again. I could see him doing it again. Last year when he won the trophy I had my doubts. Davydenko looked utterly sharp and I still don't know how he managed to win that one. This year though, after beating Simon (always a tricky opponent for him) I envisioned his smooth path to the final. After Nadal was out (ya, a relief) I thought that this is clearly his tournament. Then the match with Djokovic came. Watching it, I was amazed. It was another example of him losing his grip, and big time. Especially with Djokovic, he lost several disputes even though it was clear he could have easily been the winner. As in other cases, he just couldn't serve. He couldn't hit winners. I found myself cheering after he won a point. C'mon that sad! It was one of those painful matches in which I was wondering why isn't he able to do something. But really, not anything?! Djokovic even choked under pressure by allowing Federer to break back for 4 all in the 3rd. It was to no avail though, as he served poorly and lost the game and then the match. And with it, another great opportunity has passed. It's clear he has the game. Maybe he should try and improve his mental strength and his focus. I am sure he is still the best player in the world and that he'll win more Slams, I am just hoping he'll get back to that winning way in Slams soon.
After the match my interest in the men's tournament dropped considerably. However, I was still amazed that Djokovic won the final. I don't know how he succeeded. Probably Murray collapsed physically, as I believe he's the better player. This was his chance and once again he failed to take it. Conversely, cold-blooded Djokovic did exactly what he was supposed to do. Thus he was rewarded with his second Australian Open. I cannot say I was glad for him, but I must admit he deserves congrats for taking advantage of the situation.
I still expect a great 2011 from Federer. May he find his confidence and win some more Slams! Amen!

photo: GETTY IMAGES

No comments:

Post a Comment