Monday, July 18, 2011

Foxy Soderling's Homecoming

What a week this has been for the tenacious Robin Soderling, as he cruised to his second title on home soil in Bastad! The Sweden has been in control throughout the tournament, losing only 14 games in four encounters. After the dismissal of Argentinean Diego Junquera, 6-0,6-1, and of Italian Potito Starace, 6-3,6-4, Robin unleashed his ultimate best distroying last year's beaten Wimbledon finalist Tomas Berdych 6-1,6-0 in the semis. He followed up this win in impressive fashion, putting an end to David Ferrer's glory claims after a one-sided 6-2,6-2 victory in the final act. The win marked the second Bastad crown for Soderling, who first won it in 2009. He fell at the last hurdle last year to Spaniard Nicolas Almagro, so after recapturing his throne, the Swede felt even more enthusiastic. "It has been a great week for me," said Soderling. "I am really satisfied with the way I played, from the first point to the last point in this tournament. I played really good tennis and played my best tennis at the most important moments. It has been a dream week."
Whipping forehands and impressive serving have been the key for Robin, who proved once more that on a given day he be unreachable. Even though his Grand Slam results have been rather disappointing, the highlight being a quarterfinal at Roland Garros, the rest of the year has been quite solid. After a strong start, with titles at Brisbane, Rotterdam and Marseille, he experience a sort of mid-season crisis, but by conquering the fourth title, the Swede appears to be back on track. "I feel really good. Now finally, my body feels good. I struggled a little bit with some injuries the past couple of months. My confidence is really good. I am going to work hard now and hopefully I can do well in the [United] States."
After such a convincing display, he has reassured his status as one of the best players on the ATP tour. To me, he is better or at least equal to Djokovic or Murray. He has a more aggressive game, comprising a reliable serve and some penetrating groundstrokes. Nevertheless, he struggles mentally. Although he suffered a big turnaround since his scintillating triumph over Nadal at the 2009 French Open, he still needs to go that extra mile and win a maiden Grand Slam. I think Novak can serve as a very good example, the Serb becoming a totally different player almost overnight.

photo:  Scanpix

No comments:

Post a Comment