Friday, June 1, 2012

Mathieu Denies the Marathon Man

In the early 2000s, Paul-Henri Mathieu was one of the leading talents of the French squad. His moment of fame came at Roland Garros, in 2002, when he lost an epic encounter with Andre Agassi after leading by two sets to love. A sensational fortnight later that year, when he captured back-to-back titles at Lyon and Moscow, confirmed his credentials and many were great things for the young Frenchman. However, plagued by injuries, Mathieu struggled to leave up to the expectations. But in 2007, after some dark years, he managed to get his career back on track by claiming clay-court titles at Casablanca and Gstaad. In April 2008, just before reaching his second 4th round at the French Open, he recorded his highest ranking at number 12. Unfortunately though misery struck again and Paul-Henri's career was derailed once more. 
Many thought that this would be the end for the Frenchman, but he refused to give up. After being sidelined by a knee injury all of 2011, Mathieu is currently making another comeback attempt and what better place to relight the fire than Roland Garros, the place dearest to his heart. Being granted a wildcard to enter the main draw, Paul-Henri was determined to make the most of it. After rallied from two sets down in his first-round clash with German Bjorn Phau, he produced a stellar performance to succumb 10th seeded American, John Isner.
Isner has had some solid results on clay this season, especially in the Davis Cup where he recorded a stunning win over Federer, but he was unable to have the last say against his inspired opponent. The Frenchman had to earn it though as after spliting the first four sets, the duo went the distance. The American rose to prominence after winning the legendary encounter with Nicolas Mahut 70-68 in the fifth set, a match that lasted 11 hours and five minutes over a three-day stretch and went on to become the longest match in Grand Slam, so many were expecting a similar outcome. However, Mathieu had other plans. Supported by a packed Phillippe Chatrier Court, the Frenchman got the crucial point, sealing the victory 17-15 in the decider after 5 hours and 41 minutes of play. 
"Having the opportunity of experiencing such a thing as I did tonight, it's incredible," said an enthusiastic Mathieu. "Playing like this on a big court like this is fantastic, especially after being injured. This is why I fought and tried to come back. It's to have those moments again. I remember Mahut's match, so I just couldn't believe it was over," he continued. "I had match point. It was tough. Every time I needed to concentrate and focus again on my serve, so when the match was over, I had trouble realising it was really over."
The player who once struggled so much to close out matches seems to have found a new mentally strength now. "Before I used to become very tense at the end of a match like this", he admitted. "I have more experience now. But in the fifth set I was always ahead. I was up in the scores and I was serving first so that it was an advantage." He goes on to face the winner of the clash between Spaniard Marcel Granollers and Tunisian Malek Jaziri.
Isner, the Marathon Man of the ATP tour, is surely disappointed with his display. "I escaped a lot today; it could have been worse," he said referring to the fact that he saved 20 of 24 break points faced on serve. "But I just didn't get it done. I felt like I got caught in patterns that weren't ideal for me. I was hitting every return to his backhand and he was stepping up and running me around. I'm not gonna win the point when I'm running side to side."
Mathieu's success comes one day after Razzano's magnificent triumph over Serena Williams, giving the French crowd yet another reason to cheer about at this year's Roland Garros. 


After 5 hours and 41 minutes of play, Paul-Henri Mathieu obtained one of the biggest wins of his career stunning 10th seeded American, John Isner in front of the partisan crowd.

photos: GETTY IMAGES

No comments:

Post a Comment