Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Monaco Takes A Big Step Forward

Juan Monaco is one of the feisty clay-court players who has threatened the top 10 since bursting into the scene in 2007 with titles runs in Buenos Aires, Pörtschach and Kitzbühel. However, years have passed and the Argentinean got a bit lost, losing touch of his goal after failing to win another trophy, even though he contested seven finals. 
2012 proved a turning point in his career. After managing to break the 'curse' and return to the winning circle following a victory over Carlos Bercocq in Vina del Mar, Juan felt at ease. He started playing his best tennis again and little by little, he fought his way back towards the top of the rankings. Another title in Houston, backed up by some decent results in big tournaments and two weeks of magic were all it took for him to accomplish an important career milestone: cracking the top 10.
Fresh off a great performance in Stuttgart, the Argentinean continued his love-affair with the German clay managing to avenge his defeat to Tipsarevic in the final with a spectacular triumph in Hamburg. Monaco was utterly sharp when it mattered most, taking out defending champion, Spaniard Nicolas Almagro, in the semifinals, before dashing the home hopes with a 7-5,6-4 victory over Tommy Haas in the final. "I can't complain about the way I played today," he said. "I was 4-1 down in the first set, but I never gave up. I was fighting every point, very focussed and very motivated to win this tournament. I think it was very important to win the first set. In the last two games of the match I think I played very well."
Haas, the author of a spectacular comeback which saw him beat Roger Federer for the Halle title, was quick in complimenting his opponent. "All credit to him. He performed really well, especially when it came down to the big points. I tried to play my best; I thought I played really well throughout the match. Having the crowd support really lifted me to another gear, but it just wasn't enough today." Although he fell short in his quest to lift his first hometown trophy, Haas focused on the positives of what has been another dream week for him: "I really didn't know if I was going to be able to get this feeling one more time, especially here in Hamburg. To have experienced another week like this with getting to the final is obviously another dream week for me."
While Haas achieved a new comeback high cracking the top 35, Monaco joined fellow Tandil mate, Juan Martin del Potro inside the top 10.


Visibly upset, Tommy Haas threw his racquet several times during his match against Monaco. The Hamburg native was seeking a first triumph at his hometown tournament. The defeat was the first in a final since 2002.

By denying Haas, Juan Monaco won the biggest title of his career. He was also guaranteed a place inside the top 10 for the first time in his career, being ranked at number 10 as of Monday, July 23.

photos (top-down): ?, GETTY IMAGES (x2), ?, GETTY IMAGES

No comments:

Post a Comment