Friday, January 18, 2013

Robson Is Ready to Take on the Grown-Ups

Following her sensational run at the US Open last season, Laura Robson has pretty much established herself as a potential threat to the leading ladies of the WTA tour. Her New York wins, over a retiring Kim Clijsters and a rejuvenated Na Li, have showed she has the mental strength to hang on with the badass chicks of the tour and to eventually beat them. Concluding a breakthrough 2012 with a final in Guangzhou, the Brit added another milestone by cracking the top 50 for the first time earlier this year.
In Melbourne, she started strongly, cruising through her opening match against feisty American, Melanie Oudin. The victory brought her face to face with former Wimbledon champion, Czech Petra Kvitova. Kvitova is anything but an easy opponent, but Robson once again showed her class, coming from behind to seal a stunning triumph.
Although, Petra looked in command in the early stages of the encounter, the Brit regrouped, levelling the dispute. However, she quickly got herself back in trouble when her opponent built a 3-0 lead in the decider. Showing nerves of steel, the former junior Wimbledon champ got back into the match and even had a chance to close it out, serving for it at 6-5. She missed the opportunity, but refused to do any such mistake when she got back into a winning situation at 9-8 up. Whipping some booming serves, Laura Robson served out a superb win. 
"I knew it was going to be really tough, I always struggle to play lefties and I really struggled to return her serve in the first set but in the end I got through," declared the relieved youngster. "I started off very up and down. You know it's going to be a pretty ugly match when you start off with two double faults. You can't win a set when you're playing five unforced errors compared to every winner. So at the start of the second set I knew I just had to play with more consistency and percentage."
Asked what aspect of her game was she most pleased about, Laura answered: "That I never gave up. Even when she went up a break twice in the third, I thought I could always break her serve, I just had to get as many returns in as I could. And in the end, I thought I had nothing to lose, so I just relaxed on my service games and went for it. I'm happy, but a bit tired. I'm looking forward to going back to my apartment and sleeping."
The Melbourne born Brit has plenty of supporters Down Under. "I could definitely hear the crowd, I’m pleased so many people stayed," she said. Next up for the rising star is a fellow teen, American Sloane Stephens, and the Aussie crowd is expecting another stellar performance to cheer about.

In an epic battle, Laura Robson held her nerve, coming from behind to stun former Wimbledon champion, Petra Kvitova, 2-6,6-3,12-10 to advance to the third round. The talented Brit takes on fellow teenager Sloane Stephens next. 

photos: GETTY IMAGES

No comments:

Post a Comment