Monday, September 30, 2013

Milos Conquers Thailand

Canadian powerhouse, Milos Raonic, is making a strong push toward the top of the rankings by defeating Czech Tomas Berdych to collect his fifth career title in Bangkok. Having cracked the top 10 earlier this summer, Milos is fighting hard to book a seat at the Season's Ending Championships in London for the first time. The victory is definitely helping his cause, as he now sits within 500 points from the last qualifying spot. Talking about his hopes, Raonic confessed: "It would mean a lot, it was a goal. After [the] clay and grass [seasons], it seemed very distant... I've put a lot of good results together."
The Canadian produced a superb display in Thailand, managing to avenge the heart-breaking defeat to Richard Gasquet at the US Open, beating the Frenchman in the semis. He got his second consecutive top 10 win over Berdych to claim his second crown of 2013 after the San Jose triple. "I think I'm playing great tennis, I'm serving really well, I'm doing a lot of good things. If I keep that up I think I'll have opportunities and will put myself in a good position, no matter who [I play]," he said.
Following his emphatic breakthrough in 2011, I do admit I was expecting a faster rise. Although he has been a constant presence within the top 20, Milos has not quite had the big result he was announcing. His best performance came in Montreal earlier this year where he made his first Masters 1000 final, but other than that he only shone at smaller tournaments. I feel he is currently lacking that strong run at a Slam to fully establish himself as a top contender in men's tennis. The Canadian is the highest-ranked under 23 years old, so time is on his side. Plus, he is showing consistency and a maturity way beyond his age, so I am confident he will achieve his goals.

photo: GETTY IMAGES

No comments:

Post a Comment