Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Federer's 7th Heaven

Halle is Federer's backyard, so it became a regularity for the Swiss to lift the Gerry Weber trophy. Every season Roger uses this tournament to erase a bit of the clay-court disillusion from his mind. This year was no exception. Following a premature loss at the French Open, Federer was hoping get his grass-court campaign to a flying start. Anything short of a title in Halle is catastrophic, so it's implicit that he just has to win. And like so many times before, he did just that. 
After escaping a minor scare in the opening round against Portuguese Joao Souza, the Swiss regained cruise control defeating Yen-Hsun Lu, Kei Nishikori, respectively Columbian Alejandro Falla, whom he beat 7-6, 7-6 in the final.
Another year, another crown and Federer now took his tally to seven triumphs in Halle. “It is great to have won seven times here,” Federer told ATPWorldTour.com. “It is very special and I hope to come back here next year, where it is a [ATP World Tour] 500-series event.”“I really enjoy winning titles. It is what I play for, to play and receive a standing ovation at the end. I am very pleased with my performance. I work hard and travel the tour to win these titles and not lose in the quarters or semi-finals. With all the success I have had in the past, I need to aim for titles. I think I deserved the title this week."
After the huge disappointment last season-when he was stunned by Ukrainian Sergyi Stakhovski in the second round-the Swiss needs to prove himself at Wimbledon. He hasn't made a Grand Slam final since winning the crown there in 2012, so you'd feel it's time.
“In the past, when I have played well at Halle I have usually played well at Wimbledon," said Federer. "They have been two of my most successful tournaments, so I hope that this title will bring me luck again. Last year it didn’t work out, but it did many times before. So I hope it will be back to the good old days.”
Good luck, the king of the lawns! Go capture another Wimbledon crown!

photo: GETTY IMAGES

No comments:

Post a Comment