Sunday, March 24, 2013

Petko, You've Been Missed!

When it comes to the unluckiest players on the tour, Andrea Petkovic is a strong contender for the top spot. The German was struck by a never-ending series of injuries, which saw he drop out of the top 100 just when she was playing the tennis of her life. The latest was a knee injury she sustained during the Hopman Cup in January that ultimately forced her to miss the Australian Open. 
After taking time off to make sure she's properly healed, the charismatic Andrea attempted another comeback a few weeks ago, in Indian Wells. Although she lost in the second round of qualifying, she remained positive and hoped for a better outcome in Miami, where she was given a wildcard into the main draw. She took full advantage of it, battling her way through the third round where she lost a nail-biter against young Croatian, Ajla Tomljanovic. 
Talking about her trials and tribulations, Petko said: "I've changed. My coach actually laughs at me when I tell him I'm a changed person, but it's true. I don't get frustrated on the court anymore. I'm just happy to be back. I'm really enjoying every moment of it. I don't know how long it'll hold up like this - let's talk again in two months!
"But seriously, in my other comebacks I was really so intense and expecting myself to do great and be at the same level as before, but this time I came back with no expectations. A lot of people have approached me and told me they didn't think I would come back again, especially the people who know me, because I have so many other interests and could do other things I'd have a lot of fun with. But I felt deep inside this chapter isn't over."
She is a tough competitor and a great ambassador for the game, so I am really glad to hear she is willing to give it another shot. Her consistency took her to No.9 in the rankings, so I am convinced she can work her way back to the level she was at in 2011. Petko, we're glad to have you back!

photo: GETTY IMAGES

No comments:

Post a Comment